Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What Did the Locusts Take From You?

This morning in my quiet time I was suddenly reminded of a swarm of sins I committed years ago while still married. Though I have confessed those sins long ago and am sure I am forgiven, the memory of them arose this morning without warning. The enemy reminded me today that I am living in divorce and reaping the consequences of those sins even so many years later.

I have mourned the loss of much in this divorce - any of you that have been through it or have been a child of divorce know there are many things that are lost. I won't even begin to mention the things I miss and have longed for over the last ten plus years.

But I had a choice to make this morning when that thought came to me. I could either focus on the facts of the situation and have a pity party and "wish" things had been different, longing for another chance or I could seek His truth and be obedient to His Word. And His Word says:


We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

So I chose truth! Through prayer, I sought God's instruction on how to take this particular thought captive today. The Holy Spirit immediately reminded me of this promise in God's Word:


The Lord says, “I will give you back what you lost to the swarming locusts, the hopping locusts, the stripping locusts, and the cutting locusts. It was I who sent this great destroying army against you. (Joel 2:25)
What a promise! Instead of focusing on the sin that crept in leading to my divorce, I am choosing today to focus on the promise of His Word!! He will restore what was lost. I do not know what that restoration will look like - but I do know this - it will be more than I can ask or imagine.

What have the locusts taken from you??

No comments:

Post a Comment