Sunday, May 3, 2009

Forgive - Seventy-seven times.

I awoke this morning to the sun streaming through my window, the birds chirping and worship music playing softly in my room. As I lay there I again realized the complete sense of contentment that fills me.

I don't know what tomorrow holds or what obstacles may come my way. I am not so pompous as to think I will not again feel discontent, or carry grief longer than I should or make the same mistake more than once or run into walls because I failed to yield to the Holy Spirit's guiding.

But I do know this....Jesus is never on the sidelines shaking His head in disbelief, He isn't pointing a finger and screaming at me asking me why I continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over, He doesn't walk away and say "I've had enough"....He remains, His love is never ending, He has promised to never leave me or abandon me, He reminds me through His Word of the love He has for me. That because of the price He paid, I can be forgiven for whatever sin I may commit. The Bible says:
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:21-22 NIV)

Forgive....seventy-seven times.

I am so thankful that He forgives me over and over and over. And if He does, and He does - shouldn't I follow that same principle for those who have wronged me or continue to make a mistake over and over and over? Those that have hurt my feelings, those that have offended me? Just something for me to ponder today.

Forgive...seventy-seven times.

No comments:

Post a Comment