Monday, June 24, 2013

Second Chances (and Third and Fourth and Fifth)...

The Israelites did evil in the Lord’s sight. (Judges 3:7)
But when the people of Israel cried out to the Lord for help, the Lord raised up a rescuer to save them. (Judges 3:9)
Once again the Israelites did evil in the Lord’s sight... (Judges 3:12)
But when the people of Israel cried out to the Lord for help, the Lord again raised up a rescuer to save them. (Judges 3:15)
 Anyone see a pattern here? I know, it's pretty easy to identify. Do evil, cry out to God, He saves.

Jesus spoke quietly to me as I read this scripture today: "Debbie, isn't this a picture of your life, too? I'm always here to save you. No matter what."

And that was sweet peace to hear those words....comforting for a bit...but then, it got a bit uncomfortable when He asked me just a few minutes later...."What do you do when someone does evil towards you and then calls to you later for help? Do you reach out? Or do you just turn away?"

Ouch! Honestly, my first response is not to reach out to someone who has hurt me. Is it yours?

This morning I was reminded that Jesus wants me to give second and third and fourth chances to people that have hurt me. To just be the hands and feet of Jesus...I have to remember that I might be the only Jesus they see that day.

My prayer today is simple: Jesus, let my words and actions point to you today. Show me the places today that I can be Your hands and feet. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment