Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Least

 “But Lord,” Gideon replied, “how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!” (Judges 6:15)

As I spent time this morning in Judges 6, this verse seemed to be in bold and highlighted.

So I've been pondering this little scripture for most of the morning and asking God what He wanted to show me. And show me He did.

You see, although I’m the oldest of my siblings, I've often felt as if I’m “the least.” The least successful, the least desirable for a husband, the least financially stable, the least healthy, the least, the least, the least. The list of the least goes on and on and on.

Today I find myself right in the middle of walking through a struggle with one of the “least” mentioned previously. As I pondered this scripture, I realized that in this struggle, I wouldn't allow myself to even mention it to God and ask Him to help me through it. Yep. That’s right…wouldn't even talk to Him about it…much less anyone else. 

You see, in my eyes, in certain areas, I have labeled myself the “least” and with that title, somewhere along the way I've convinced myself that I either don’t deserve help or shouldn't ask for help. Still not sure which one and honestly I don’t think it matters…both of those thought processes are wrong.

BUT GOD…

I am so thankful that God didn't respond to Gideon with a “Oh, that’s right…continue with your threshing "least" one!” Noooooo, that’s not what God said at all…in fact, God didn't even acknowledge that comment about being Gideon being “the least”. God responded, “The Lord said to him, “I will be with you.” (Judges 6:16a) That was it…just a I’ll be with you. No lecture, no pep talk, no reprimand, nothing. Just a simple “I will be with you.”

You know my friend, that is what God is saying to me today…I will be with you. He doesn't define me as “the least” of anything. His Word says I am blessed and highly favored (Luke 1:28), that I am the head and not the tail (Deuteronomy 28:14), that I was made in His image (Genesis 1:27), that He is for me and not against me (Romans 8:31), that He has a plan and purpose for me, to give me a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11), that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), and that He rejoices over me in singing (Zephaniah 3:17). 

So today, I will go to my prayer closet and spend time with my Savior and ask Him to help me through my “least”. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment